Books Read

Danielle's bookshelf: read

Whisky Charlie Foxtrot
Past the Shallows
Faces in the Clouds
We Don't Live Here Anymore
Floundering
Jasper Jones
The Last Ride
Blood
Father's Day
The Children
Darkness on the Edge of Town
The Meaning of Grace
The Time Keeper
The Ottoman Motel
It Takes A Village
The Shadow of the Wind
The Book Thief
Year of Wonders
On the Jellicoe Road
The Lovely Bones


Danielle Burns's favorite books »

Thursday 20 June 2013

A LONELY LIFE...


One is the loneliest number that you’ll ever know… 

So sings that old crooner, that master of farewell concerts, Johnny Farnham. 

I know, it's showing my age calling him Johnny, not John Farnham or The Voice.

But for me he’ll always be the nice looking boy in the powder blue safari suit leaning against his red Monaro on the cover of that first single I ever bought with my own hard-earned pocket money – Sadie, The Cleaning Lady.

Of course, One is really a song about love and longing. But, when I hear it on that ‘old fart radio station’ that I tune into on those rare occasions I find myself in the car unaccompanied by my husband or my teenagers, it always strikes me as quite a fitting theme song for writers.

It symbolises that idea of being all alone, all day – just you and your computer.  Or maybe your lucky HB pencil with the chewed end, that clunky old typewriter you found in an op shop or perhaps an antique feathered nib and ink?

We're waging our own personal wars against the worlds. Brewing each cup of coffee with bullets of inspiration, then madly tapping away only to take a big gulp of that lukewarm bathwater at the end. Brainstorming an idea for 20 minutes as if you were devising a battle plan to invade Constantinople, till it dawns that this piece is heading completely off target.  Lighting candles, selecting the right music, and practising meditation.  Just about anything we can think of to kick-start those creative ideas.

But sooner or later a writer craves the company of other bookish types to fuel those passions, put it all into perspective and provide some purpose to the hours of solitary scribbling.

I’ve struggled for the longest time to find a group to lessen my weighty load.  And I’m not talking about Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig. I’ve been looking for a writers group where I can feel accepted, respected or even just made welcome.

There have been a few disasters along the way and each new group has made me somehow stronger, bolder and more confident about what I should be getting out of it.  

I now know what I don’t need:
  • ·      committee meetings complete with minutes and a treasurers report
  • ·      shoulder patting exercises, complementing each other on every word
  • ·      attacks on my personality or my lack of experience
  • ·      butt kicking regimes that leave me racing for the exit
  • ·      to read my work without any comment from others


What I do need is a small friendly group of intelligent, interesting people from varying backgrounds who will review my work and then be prepared to give me an honest opinion. Is this too much to ask?

In my mission to answer this vexing question, I’ve recently stumbled upon a small but diverse group of writers who are willing to do just that and more.  We met at a recent workshop, so we know we have similar interests but at the same time we all bring a slightly different viewpoint.

We’re all equals, starting out together and we’ve agreed on the following ground rules: 
  • ·      To provide a chapter for review at least two weeks before the next meeting
  • ·      To respond to the story first as a reader. Did it work for you?
  • ·      To provide an honest critique of the writing, not the author
  • ·      To try to see what the writer is trying to achieve, direct comments toward this
  • ·      To provide a place for open discussion of each others ideas, thoughts, concepts
  • ·      To take note of the points raised without the need for justification
  • ·      To enjoy the chance to share this time in the company of other writers
   So, fingers crossed this is the group I've been looking for...


4 comments:

  1. So how is the writing group going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, only one other turned up for our first workshop meeting, so not exactly what I had planned but I've got another one brewing ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Danielle, I've recently taken the plunge and joined my first writers group ever. Going good so far but I don't know yet who is doing who (biblically or psychologically). Having shied away so long from putting my writing 'out there' it feels like a huge step. I have wanted to reconnect with the group from Daku in March but have lost the addresses. Thank goodness some of you blog! I hope your writing is going well. Deb Fleming

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Deb, glad to hear you've taken the writing group plunge! Hoping it works out for you. Will send you the addresses for that Daku mob. Dan xx

    ReplyDelete